Disaster now no GUI

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 13 10:49:16 UTC 2006

Jim Douglas wrote:

>> You might want to backup your important data and then do a clean install.

> You read my mind...backup is done.  I tried installing a fresh copy of FC5.
>
> Now when I reboot after an install my monitor gives me a "Signal out of
> range" and goes into sleep mode before booting is complete....and it
> soesn't come back..  any ideas?
>
> I have HP f2105.  They don't support Linux..

Are you using the DVI-D input (White cable if I remember) or the VGA
(blue cable) to the monitor. You should be able to set your desired
default settings in the Monitor menu. I have a Dell monitor which I use
the VGA cable and it works. I did not try the DVI-D input in Linux for
this display.
At least you have a basic system that you can try to start in runlevel 3
to try to reconfigure the display. You might try to see if the graphical
login (rhgb) is causing the problem first. You can hit a key to show the
boot menu, highlight your desired kernel, press the a key (for appending
information on the boot line.) Once you are on the kernel line,
backspace out the rhgb information followed by hitting enter to boot the
computer.

Jim

--
"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?"
  -Ronald Reagan