OT: Inundated with bogus(?) warnings I'm infected

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 13 18:02:05 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> fredex wrote:

> This is a classic virus/trojan payload technique.  If your mailer

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of that. I don't "open" attachments.
I save them to disk, and use $ file and dump them in hex.

> appears to show the attachment as a .doc file, you might be persuaded to
> open it with MS Word.  The .scr extension is there to get past
> attachment scanners that key on the file type.  Odds are, this is a Word
> macro trojan.

Umm, some of them don't look like that. Some of them are definitely
Windows executables; have the "MZ" signature, and the tell-tale
"This program cannot be run in DOS mode" message in them (strings
is a nice program, too).

[snip]

> It's playing whack-a-mole, really.  But you can follow the chain of
> "Received:" headers back to the last one that makes sense (sometimes the
> earlier ones are forged too) and mail the postmaster or abuse address at
> that domain.

Well, I have done that sort of thing once or twice, and accidentally
posted a copy to an e-mail echo. One fellow commented that I had
mis-interpreted the forged headers, but then disappeared and wouldn't
explain what I had done wrong. That's where I want some help.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.