help getting fc4 working with dual nics and vpn

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Wed Sep 13 20:38:00 UTC 2006

Randy Paries wrote:
> hello,
> I have a linux box that is running fc4. It has two nics on it.
> One Nic has a public IP that is locked down tight with IPtables.
> the second nic is connected to a lan with 192.168.0.x ips.
>
> I have a VPN router that has a public IP that also connects to the
> 192.168.0.x lan.
>
> I am have problems i think with routing.
>
> if my default route on the linux box points to my main router with the
> public ip , i can access the linux box via the public IP (if i open up
> iptables), but i can not access the linux box via the VPN and the lan
> IP.
>
> if i change the default route on this linux box to be the VPN router,
> i can connect the linux box via the local ip (when logged into the
> VPN) , but can not longer connect to the public ip.
>
> i  think i need to add some route statements,

Definitely not a network guru and I've never worked with a VPN router
before, so I may be way off base, but if you're just trying to reach
some remote IP(s) by way of the VPN router you could try something like
this.

"/sbin/ip route add REMOTE_IP/NETMASK via LAN_IP dev ethX"

If the remote IP(s) are on different subnets you would use multiple
statements.  Change ethX to whichever nic is connected to the VPN.

Hope it works!