Red Hat Users Invited To Test RHEL 5

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 14 00:57:49 UTC 2006

taharka wrote:
[snip]

>>> RHEL ain't that much different, being that new features/technology
>>> introduced come from none other than Fedora.
>>
>> I never said they didn't.  But once it becomes RHEL, very few new
>> features/technologies will introduced into that codebase.
>
> No doubt, and your point being?

Same as it has always been.  RHEL is not Fedora and discussions about it
don't belong on the Fedora list.

>>> So, tell me, why is it, when
>>> some one on this list, mentions using Fedora on a server for mission
>>> critical stuff, the immediate response is always, it shouldn't be
>>> used & RHEL/CentOS is recommended?
>>>

>> For most "Mission Critical" servers, reinstalling ~1 a year is not
>> desired.
>
> Once again, no kidding. Still doesn't answer the question, (to be more
> precise), why does the RHEL name even come up if there isn't a direct
> relationship between Red Hat & Fedora?

You have missed the posts suggesting Ubuntu or Gentoo?

>>> No kidding, that was merely an example to show the relationship
>>> between Red Hat/Fedora & that same relationship between Novell/SUSE.
>>>

>> The post wasn't about "Red Hat" the company, it was about RHEL, the
>> distribution.
>
> Yes, and perhaps you can explain what the "RH" in RHEL stands for? Could
> it be for the same company that produces RHEL & Fedora?

So was can look forward to you copying the list on announcements about
RHEL's different certifications in the future?  Why stop there, why not
just send us daily stock updates, too?

This list isn't about Red Hat the company, RHEL, or anything else that
isn't _Fedora_!

[snip]
> What do you mean completely different distribution? I use some RHEL rpms
> on Fedora, so they ain't completely different.

So using a SUSE RPM on my Fedora means it is the same as SUSE?  Using
VMWare's RPMs on Fedora means VMWare is the same as Fedora?

>>> It ain't my call to say what's posted to this list.
>>>

>> It is when you're hitting the send button.
>>

> Correct, and also note the post is sent to fedora-list at redhat.com.

Yes, where RHEL is off-topic.

--
William Hooper