High bit ASCII and FPC

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 15 10:59:10 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> 'Tisn't "ASCII", so you'd need to set a console mode that actually
>> matches what you believe is ASCII (8-bit text of *some* sort, but *not*
>> "ASCII"), or use unicode properly to draw the same symbols.  Unicode has
>> drawing glyphs, too.

Ric Moore:
> That's ANSI code tisn't it? <g> What we used in the BBS days.. ah...
> Red Dragon! <swoons> Ric

Strictly speaking, no...  "ANSI" is a bit like IEC, ISO, etc.  For
example, we have ISO-8859-1, which specifies a particular character
encoding maintained by ISO.  The full name ISO-8859-1 has to be used to
refer to something in particular.  The ANSI art that you're familiar
with on a BBS, is *one* of the ANSI specs (there should be extra version
information along with the ANSI name).

>From what I remember of writing for a BBS, ages ago, various ANSI codes
were used for colour and cursor control, but it was one of the PC
fontsets that produced the drawing characters.  They're two different
things.

I read messages from the public lists.