OT: vulnerability scanner (TARA)

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 22:00:31 UTC 2006

On 9/15/06, Jamie Bohr <jamiebohr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Does any one use TARA?  The company I work for uses TARA for Linux and SunOS
> and an internal tool for HP-UX.  I will be starting a Senior capstone class
> for college soon and was wondering how useful would an update to TARA be to
> the Open Source community.  I invision it as a client-server application
> where either the client or server can initiate a scan and the results go
> into a database (MySQL or PostgreSQL).  From the DB risk acceptance filters
> can be applied and reports (Web & email) can be generated.  The web
> interface could generate reports for each site or support region.  This
> could be used by managment to see how security compliant a given region is.
>
> The DB could also have tables in it to support determining how patch
> compliant systems are.  I would like the DB flexable enough to support other
> security concerns in the furture.
>
> I would like to hear your thoughts on how useful this would be before I
> spend a lot of time working on it.  Of cource it also comes down to if the
> professor will accept it as a project.
>
> --
> Jamie Bohr
> --

Hi Jamie Bohr!

Well, I just ran it!

I think I would spend some quality time researching what others have
done as well.  The system does several things I do like in a way that
is good.  I think it has some real possibilities.

I would encourage the project!!

In today's world most attacks from the outside are against the browser
and helpers of the browser.  Most attacks against computers in a
corporate environment are from within!!   I would like to see a virus
scan (slow, continuous, and through), a checker of the locking screen
saver being on (and other similar issues), a check for various root
kits or key loggers, check for bots, and a check of the state and
configuration of SELinux as well.

I think it would be nice to run something like TARA random, but have
parts of it running continuous with alarming capability.

It might be nice to snap a picture of various log files (hal -
messages - syslog) from time to time looking for particulars as we go.

I will type back to you later after some research of my own.

May you find an excellent placement of your skills!

Tod