problems in installing realtek 8139 network card

Per-Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Sat Sep 16 20:13:56 UTC 2006

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:38:41AM -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>
> neat is an alias for system-config-network.

... and I have used neat.
>> It may be that it's old enough to be an ISA-PNP card, and that won't
>> show up in lspci.
>>

> Good point; I forgot about that

To clarify that - I bought the card a couple of weeks ago, so it is
brand new

Charles:

>Check the BIOS to be sure that the Realtec card isn't being
>ignored. Some BIOSes show a list of hardware found during boot. You
>may also have to go into the BIOS setup and make sure it isn't being
>ignored.

I did intercept the bios during bootup, but this bios shows no such list as far as I could see.

Charles:
>Try swaping the two cards. Just a hunch and a bit of magic incantation
>that sometimes works.

Yes, I have also thought about that. I'll do that tomorrow.  What else
could it be when the system seems not to discvover the presence of this
card? Well, I don't quite know, but its definitely worth a try.

>> Check dmesg to see if the kernel detects an ISA card, and then try
>> configuring it via the s-c-network utility

No reference to ISA came up when using dmesg.

Brgds
PA