Where are smbmounts mounted?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 16 20:56:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 01:59 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 08:34 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > But that leaves a mystery. The man page of mount indicates the
> > existence of a mount.smbfs (which does not seem to exist). Then there
> > is smbmount which I thought used to exist but I can't find it in the
> > distribution.
>
> Perhaps Samba is installed through more than one RPM, and you've not got
> it all?  I don't have FC5 here to look at, on FC4 it's a part of the
> Samba package.
I think, and people will correct me, that you need to use FC5 more than
occasionally, mount.smbfs, mount.smb do exist in FC4. They are links to
smbmount. These do not exist is FC5.

> > The implication is that you can mount a file share. Can you? And if
> > you can , how do you do it?
>
> You can.  You can do so through the command line (as Craig suggested),
> or with the fstab file.
>
> e.g. //windoze/MANUAL  /mnt/windoze/manual  smbfs  auto,uid=tim,gid=tim,noexec,nodev
>
> That's a line in my fstab file that mounts a folder shared from a FAT32
> drive, on Windows 98 (hence a reason for mounting as a specific user, as
> the remote resource doesn't have any sort of ownership details).
> Passwords can also be supplied, though they're generally best obtained
> from another file, one that's not readable by all and sundry on the
> system.
I don't understand the fstab line above. Is windoz the name of the
server and MANUAL the share. Where is the Windows domain name and the
passwd?
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>