hostname doesn't stick

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 21:02:56 UTC 2006

From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 07:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Despite the warning, I always make changes here.  I split that line into two entries:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain
>> 192.168.0.xx    arrakis.homelinux.org arrakis
>> (adjusting the IP of course to your box's own).
>
> The rather badly worded warning is about how the first line should be
> precisely:
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost
>
> For some reason, Fedora likes to put the machine name into the 127.0.0.1
> line, sometimes, despite all the problems that it can cause.  But yours
> seems to be missing the "localhost" alias.  I can imagine that causing
> you some problems.

Did you do something silly like modify /etc/sysconfig/network? What
does it currently say? It should say:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

If not you did something to modify it and you have localhost being
renamed. Otherwise you may have nasty little spirits camping out
digitally on your machine.

{o.o]