hostname doesn't stick

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 17 14:19:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 10:32 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Adding the local hostname seems to be a Fedora thing, and I see no
> good reason for it.

Do you mean having a localhost name entry?  I have to wonder about that,
localhost = 127.0.0.1 on just about everything.  It could be presumed to
be present, whether or not it actually is.

Do you mean adding the local host's name to the localhost line?  I think
this a bad idea, even if the machine is not connected to any other
networkable device.  It might be the case now, but two weeks later when
someone tries to SMB between two boxes, and wonders why Windows cannot
browse "\\localhost\myfiles"...

Do you mean adding a line for the local host addresses to the hosts
file?  If you have any service, including the X server, sendmail, etc.,
that tries to start up using the machine's hostname, it has to be able
to know what IP and name are associated with each other.

I read messages from the public lists.