Dual Boot with WinXP

Norm norm at workingtools.ca
Sun Sep 17 19:57:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:09:23 -0400
linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:

> On Sunday 17 September 2006 15:04, linuxmaillists at charter.net
> wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 September 2006 14:53, Norm wrote:
> > > Because of other commitments I need to keep 30gigs wasted on
> > > Micro$. I have a 60 gig Maxtor hard drive with a 10 gig
> > > partition for the Win OS and 20 gig for win programs, this
> > > leaves room for 30 gigs of Linux. I have tried with several
> > > distributions of Linux and all recognize the 10 gig boot
> > > partition but roll the remaining into a single partition. How
> > > do I set up a dual boot and not affect the part reserved for
> > > windows.  Yes I would prefer to just do a clean install of
> > > Linux but that is not possible in this case as even
> > > reformatting and reinstalling the windows part is not
> > > practical.
> >
> > In your settings that you are selecting to do your install you
> > are not picking the correct one during the HDD partition
> > selection. sorry I have not done an install in about 2 months
> > and do not remember what it says.
>
> There is an install guide with pictures that shows the details of
> how to do this.

I expected it to be this simple but it is not.
During the install I am presented with the correct representation of my
physical hard drives, when I go to the custom partitioning part of the
set up. The physical device that contains the current Microsoft boot
partition shows correctly as 10 gig. the second partition presents
itself as 47 gig which is the problem as the correct partitioning of
this hard drive should show as 10gig, 20gig and the remaining
approximately as 30 gig (probably actually 27gig).