QuickCam Express and FC5?

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Mon Sep 18 14:02:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 22:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
Darryl Seamans <seamansd at ctech.smccme.edu> wrote:

> 	I just purchased a Logitech QuickCam Express camera and while it
> works under Windows I can't get it recognized under FC5. When I run camE
> it tells me /dev/video0: no such device, even though it exists and has
> 81,0 as major, minor device number. I tried downloading and modprobing
> quickcam drivers, spca5xx drivers and pwc drivers and they load but to no
> avail. camstream doesn't know the device and won't give me any video. I am
> running core 5, 512MB ram, 80GB HD with USB 2.0. Toshiba Satellite PC.
> Anyone else gotten the QuickCam Express working under FC5? Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Darryl Seamans
> Southern Maine Community College
> Computer technology Dept.
> So Portland, ME 04106

Hi,
Here are a few links you can check out to get your webcam working:
http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qce-ga/
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/quickcam.html
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/index.shtml
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/FAQ

FWIW, I used the first (two) link to get mine working...

HTH, Myles

PS: Considering the popularity of these webcams I wonder if they might be
included as loadable modules in some future version of Fedora?
--
Why do they call it baby-SITTING when all you do is run after them?