[Fwd: Fwd: Getting older]

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 21:58:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:16 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > I did rpm -q --whatprovides helix and nothing
> > came up. There ought to be a law.
>
> There is. rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/helix or
> rpm --qf $(which helix) should have helped you.
>
> (Not that that command returns anything on my system, but then I erased
> HelixPlayer long ago.)
>
> I'm a bit worried about this talk of rm -rf on RPM managed files -- it's
> not best practice, since it will mean that RPM thinks files exist that
> aren't there in reality. It means that yum will quite happily install
> any updated version of HelixPlayer and restore updated versions of those
> files.
>
> At the very least, using rpm -qf /path/to/file and *trying* to uninstall
> the package concerned will leave you with a consistent system. You may
> well find that any dependencies on the package can themselves be lost.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was very much aware of this, but was pushed
to great lengths to resolve the problem at 3AM while royally
'indignant'. (took me a minute to think of a word that wasn't profane)

I later did rpm -e HelixPlayer, once a kind soul put the correct
verbiage there for me to use. I thought the default for --whatprovides
was /usr/bin    - my bad. Blew off totem too. Mplayer is my swiss army
knife that works. All the time. When I get to FC6, I'll know better what
to install and what not to install.

Xine rocks, and Kaffine does too. No problems with those apps. My kudos
to those folks. I do have totem-xine installed, which seems to be solid.
Thank you again, Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256