Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Guillermo Garron guillermo.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 23:38:34 UTC 2006

On 9/20/06, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a computer science class mate who is interested in switching to
> Linux, starting small with installing it and dual booting. He fits the
> type that should be able to switch easiy: non-hardcore gamer, non
> hardcore multimedia.
>
> My question to the list is could you compare and contrast Fedora and
> Ubuntu so that I may pass on the information so that he may make a
> choice himself?
>
> I have only ever used Fedora (was Redhat 7,8,9 before) so I am unable
> to do that. However, Ubuntu seems to be very popular. So I figure that
> to be fair, I should present him with my choice, and the aparent
> popular choice, with arguement for-against both if possible.
>
> Thank you.
Hi,

I am using both FC5, Ubuntu Drapper and even CenOS 4.4
I use CentOS as desktop and server, and have used FC5 for desktop and
server applications also,both are almost the same for this thinks,
(Fedora changes too quickly).
Ok going to Ubuntu if he wants to come form Windows, i think he will
like Ubuntu more, it worked better for me with my INTEL sound card,
but did not make it good with my ATI Radeon.

for the sound i needed to make some changes on fedora to work, and
with Ubuntu i had to make some changes for my ATI radeon card.

I could see that for WiFi networks Ubuntu has a better interface, as
is. off course you can always install NetworkManager and should be the
same for both. (NetworkManager claims it has not support for static IP
but for me it worked)

Fedora changes too quickly, i do not know about Ubuntu, if you
classmate just want to have it as its desktop and forget about
changing every 6 moths or one year the distro maybe should see
something like Ubuntu who claims for Long Term Support.

hope this helps, but it is only my oppinion and experience.

regards,

Guillermo Garron