Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Peter Roopnarine proopnarine at calacademy.org
Thu Sep 21 00:18:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 16:26, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> My question to the list is could you compare and contrast Fedora and
> Ubuntu so that I may pass on the information so that he may make a
> choice himself?
I use both (actually Kubuntu, since I much prefer KDE over Gnome). Both are
good systems, what you would expect from top notch Linux distros. I use
Fedora on my servers and number crunchers, since it does change and update
very quickly, and I have a bias toward Red Hat management approaches. Kubuntu
is definitely more desktop-friendly; easy to install, easy to maintain, pays
attention to multimedia, wifi tools, etc. So I run Kubuntu on my student
machines and my own laptops (always works, never had a problem). The single
thing that I find annoying about Kubuntu, and I'm sure that there will be a
few in agreement with me, is the lack of an automatic root user installation.
But that's pretty minor. I'd recommend Kubuntu/Ubuntu to your friend for a
starter, but there's no reason to give other distros. such as Fedora,
OpenSuse or even Debian a shot.
Peter

--
Dr. Peter D. Roopnarine, Assoc. Curator
Department of Invertebrate Zoology & Geology

Phone: (415) 321-8271
FAX: (415) 321-8615
WWW: http://www.calacademy.org/research/izg/roopnarine/peter.htm
"there's a mansion on the hill"