Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Thu Sep 21 13:34:56 UTC 2006

Would I be able to install FC5 as my default OS, but install Kubuntu on
a slave drive and add it
to Grub, and thus have access to both?
Or, would it be better to install both OS on the first drive, and keep
all my data on the other, or
some such configuration?
I´ve got a 15gb drive I could install the OS on, and a 200gb I could use
for data,
although I´ve never done such a thing, and am not even sure how to
install in such a fashion
that the OS (or in this case, both OSs) would recognize the home
directory on another drive.
I´ve also just installed and kept everything on the same drive.  I´m
wondering if two
linux os can use the same home directory, or if I will have permissions
trouble accessing what
the first installation calls /home from the second install.
Any suggestions?  This is just all speculation and such, but I am
interested in trying something new.
I have been using RH/FC for about 7 years, and am interested in trying
Kubuntu out for a while.
There is much I love about FC, but there are also certain consistent
issues that annoy me,
thus my willingness to try another.
I have solely used RH/FC since about RH8, but in the past have tried a
few other distros,
Corel Linux (gone and forgotten) which was also deb based, BlueLinux
(was Caldera based, I think, edu oriented),
Lycoris (pretty but annoying),  let me think....
That´s about it except for fiddling with a Knoppix, and Gentoo Live on
ppc, and several unsuccessful
attempts to install Debian (could never get the Xserver up, even when
giving XConfig the same
parameters that worked on the same hardware with RH...??).  Oh, no...I
also, when I was teaching public
school, built some boxes out of ancient donated parts and loaded Vector
or DamnSmallLinux on a few
that were just too darned old and slow to handle RH.  For a while I was
using K12Linux (as a desktop,
not as a LTSP), but that was really just RH/FC with a few extra
educational and edutainment pkgs.
I had a Suse 9.1 boxset once, but never even tried it.  Gave it to my
nephew a year ago,
who now uses only Suse, and, at 14yrs age, is already contributing to
FOSS projects (mostly amarok).

tony