Fedora vs. Ubuntu

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Thu Sep 21 16:25:39 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 15:26 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>

>>My£0.02-worth :-)
>>
>>While some say that Ubuntu, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS are more newbie-friendly,
>>it's worth bearing in mind that most people come to computing with friends on
>>tap for hand-holding.  Those of us that have come to linux depending on lists
>>like this are generally more confident (maybe more competent, too?) but it is
>>very likely that your friend will feel in real need of help in the early
>>stages.
>>
>>I think, therefore, that your comfort-level in supporting a different distro
>>has to be borne in mind.  I'm not saying you couldn't - there will be more
>>similarities than differences - but you may not wish to take on an extra
>>layer of responsibility.
>>

>On the other hand, you know the useful life-span of a fedora
>installation.
>Do you want to recommend that to a friend that needs hand-holding?

I´m not even sure how relevant to this comparison is the following, but:
When I was teaching 7 and 8 grade English, I brought several machines in
built from spare, donated parts, loaded with K12linux (I think it must
have been
FC1 epoque, gave the machines away at the end of the year), and my students
got right onto those machines, without any handholding at all, and
create papers, presentations, posters and flyers, conducted web research,
(even snuck in some game playing during study hall), etc.
They didn´t even know they were using a different OS until I told them so.

tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translating & Interpreting