Repository peace - CLAMAV

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Sep 22 09:20:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 02:39:22AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 03:07 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> > Hi
> > Are we ever going to have Repository Peace?

Well, words like peace suggest a war which IMHO isn't the situation.

> > At least with major pieces of software such as Clamav?
> >
> > ATrpms defines it one way, Extras another way and RPMForge a third
> > way and none of them is compatible with the others.  This is
> > ridiculous. If each one wants to keep their directory structure
> > and other settings,fine! but at least they should test for the
> > proper existences of already known alternatives.

If you see a compatibility issue consider reporting it to the
parties. This list isn't realy read by most due to the high volume, so
you would have to pick other channels. ATrpms and the RPMForge group
have a common bugzilla and Extras is using the main bugzilla of
redhat.com.

> > It is a pain when a program has Clamav as a dependency and it is
> > not met despite the fact that you indeed has it, only that not
> > from the same repository family
>
> I think that was one of the reasons it is not advised to enable all
> three of them in yum at once. Stick with extras, unless you know that a
> package is specific to ATrpms or RPMForge, then use:
> yum -y --enablerepo rpmforge install blahblah.rpm
> then yum will grab the package from that site then. Otherwise the repo
> isn't used by default. You might give that a whirl. Ric

No, please don't do that. This is called selective/partial enabling of
repositories and generates per-host specific bugs. No repo can
therefore diagnose/support selective/partial setups. If you go that
route be aware that you'll break your system and that you will be on
your own. That's irrespective of what repo you will be half-enabling.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net