LVM -- removing logical volumes from a file system

tokyoi at mac.com tokyoi at mac.com
Fri Sep 22 22:46:33 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off managing the
partitions on my system (fully updated FC5, KDE) myself, rather than
wandering through the ethereal reaches of the LV system. The GUI is a
dead loss, not least because it keeps telling me that elements of the
system are uninitialized when I am actually using them on a daily
basis. The command-line LVM programme is more appealing but I am not
really sure as to what will happen to my system -- as in the physical
bits and bobs -- if I tell lvm to remove a volume. Am I right in
thinking that the various commands to remove volumes simply mean that
logical volume management is disabled and that the data remains
intact, for me to administer it again via fdisk and /etc/fstab? I
have more backups than Soft Mick but would rather leave them as an
unused comfort zone. I have looked through the man pages and the like
but would appreciate confirmation from those who are more
knowledgeable than I.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian

tokyoi at mac com