can´t get kde, can´t get gnome...what happened?

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Sat Sep 23 07:04:00 UTC 2006

Goksin Akdeniz wrote:

>First answers and tehnquestions.
>
>You can remove a package or a group of packages via yum.

I suppose I knew that...Of course, I expect it to be a headache, all the
same, getting the package names all correct and what not.
Is there a way with just one command to force a reinstall without first
removing it?
And were that possible, would it possibly either ameliorate or
exasperate the issue?

>Have you made any chages in yum configuration, such as adding or removing
>repos?
>
>Goksin Akdeniz

The last two installs that fell apart on me just this week I changed
nothing at all in yum.
This most recent one, I added the livna repo.
In one of the installs, I tried to update everything at once, and was
subsequently advised not to do so.
The other two, I selectively updated various items, but the two
instances were not identical.
I could not be sure what common element might be the issue, since, I am
sure, there were many
common items that I updated all three times.
Actually, the first install had issues with libpam that messed up a lot
of other stuff
(couldn´t get root, and stuff), so in the following two, I avoided
updating pam.
This last one, I did a few updates at a time...If I remember correctly,
the final things I updated were
Installing a number of games, installing xmms, updating some gnome libs
(for gnome programs I use, although,
I use KDE for my desktop).  Updating kde-base and various other
essential kde libs.
KDE didn´t crash on me, but when I logged out of the session and
attempted to log back in, no joy...
I get to the log in prompt, and even see the splash screen with blinking
icons and all, but then it just
hangs at a blue screen with a mouse cursor present, and fails to load kde.

Tony