Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 15:39:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 05:11, Claude Jones wrote:

> Now, as to your request. There's not much to it. You can almost always find
> a legend on modern drives that tells you where the jumpers should go. If
> you hook two drives to the same controller with a three connector cable,
> you'll almost always be safe by jumpering one drive as slave, and one drive
> as master. There is also cable select - if you have a cable select cable,
> which will usually have markings near the connectors saying Master and
> Slave silkscreened right on the ribbon cable, then, you can also jumper
> BOTH drives as CS or cable select. There are some on this list that will
> insist that this is an invitation to disaster, but I've done it many times
> without incident. I have discovered problems where others have jumpered one
> drive as CS and the other as Master or Slave, and that creates all kinds of
> issues, including drives appearing then disappearing, sometimes recognized,
> other times not, erratic behavior - just had such a case this week. Also,
> most modern IDE drives now require 80 wire cables, which are not the same
> as the old standard 40 wire ribbons - the individual wires are much
> thinner, and there obviously are more of them. You must make sure you use
> these.

I started building boxes about the same time as you did, Claude, and have
habitually put a new drive in as master and the old one as slave.  I always
jumper for master/slave, mainly because I like to feel in control, and have
never seen any issues such as those discussed in this thread.

However, I do recall that many years ago my supplier suggested that I didn't
use CS (so that now it has become a habit) because at that time some
motherboards and some cables did not handle CS properly.  I wonder if that is
what has caused this confusion?  I repeat, this was many years ago.  I would
expect that any issues that were around at that time would have been
long-since addressed.

Anne