Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 17:54:34 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 September 2006 17:56, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 16:39 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > However, I do recall that many years ago my supplier suggested that I
> > didn't use CS (so that now it has become a habit) because at that time
> > some motherboards and some cables did not handle CS properly.
>
> Not a "motherboard" issue, it can't be.

It would have to be the IDE connectors, if it was a motherboard issue.

> Yes, you can have problems if you try to use cable select without a
> cable select cable.  Yes, you can have problems if you have a drive that
> doesn't play nicely.

I think that all 80-wire cables are cable-select compatible, but when 80-wire
cables first started appearing most people were still using 40-wire.  What's
more, many of those cables didn't have a clear board-end and drive-end - the
connectors were sometimes quite evenly spaced and could be used either way.
The first time I had some 80-wire cables I was surprised to find the board
end colour-coded.

> But it's a drive and cable issue, not motherboard issue.  Either the
> cable, or the jumpers, configure each drive as master or slave.
>
> If you have a motherboard that cannot handle masters and slaves, then
> it's going to balls-up regardless of which method you use to set up the
> drives.

I'm sure it would, but I've never come across one like that.

Anne