Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Sep 24 18:03:15 UTC 2006

On Sunday September 24 2006 11:39 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> However, I do recall that many years ago my supplier suggested that I
> didn't use CS (so that now it has become a habit) because at that time some
> motherboards and some cables did not handle CS properly.  I wonder if that
> is what has caused this confusion?  I repeat, this was many years ago.  I
> would expect that any issues that were around at that time would have been
> long-since addressed.
>
> Anne

I can only speak to my own experience - what I've encountered many times is
situations where drives were jumpered inconsistently, one CS and the other M
or S - as I mentioned in another post in this thread, I encountered this just
this past week on a friend's desktop. He'd installed a new DVD writer and was
having all sorts of erratic behavior as described in my earlier post. The
other thing I've encountered is drives jumpered CS but non-CS cables.

My current practice when building a new machine is to jumper M/S and use a
non-CS cable. It has been posted on this list in past threads on this subject
that jumpering M/S even with a CS cable will over-ride the CS - I have no
direct experience with that. If I get a machine that has a cable select
cable, I jumper both drives CS.

But, to go back to what Joel was saying, he asserted that all sorts of
problems with data corruption would occur if M/S were used. My experience
hasn't been that - I've encountered extremely erratic drive behavior when
encountering mis-configured systems, but the nature of that was drives being
recognized sometimes, and other times, not, in a completely seemingly random
manner - the systems were unusable in that state, and so there were no issues
with data corruption, because the systems were dysfunctional.

As to some MOBO's and some CS cables not handling CS correctly, I can't say
I've encountered it, but, the possibility of it wouldn't come as a surprise;
in 18 years of building and troubleshooting hundreds of machines, I've
encountered many wild, and poorly implemented, pieces of hardware - my
current pet peeve is USB implementation which is ridiculous. I'm dealing at
this moment with a LaCie USB external mini-drive that has suddenly gone dark,
which happens to have all my wife's website and video work on it....
Fortunately, it's backed up.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA