Intel Woodcrest Crash under heavy load with FC5 and MySql - Solved.

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Mon Sep 25 00:43:57 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I just wanted to give anyone interested an update on this problem - now
resolved.

The problem is a bug in the 3ware code base firmware version 9.3.0.4 -
do not use this version in a production environment.

It took a lot of work to get 3ware to take notice of this problem and
finally admit the bug under heavy load (as I could reproduce the problem
using MySql under load).

The solution for me was to downgrade the firmware to version 9.3.0.3
using a software firmware updater provided by 3ware. Now it's 100% stable.

I have just noticed that there is a new public firmware version
available (9.3.0.6) The release notes simply say "Bugs fixed and
enhancement to release 9.3.0.4" which means it may not be stable ?

Also, the problem did eventually occur using only two CPU's so the
problem was not related to Intel/Woodcrest, but two CPUs was a lot more
stable.

Thanks.
Albert.