network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 25 04:59:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 23:42 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> I went and got the FC6 versions of bind and it seems to have
> quieted down a LOT!
>
> bind-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-libs-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-chroot-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-sdb-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-devel-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-utils-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
> bind-libbind-devel-9.3.2-41.fc6.i386.rpm
>
> plus network-bind-config and anything I could grab.

You know that bind doesn't have anything to do with re-writing your
hosts file?  Bind just looks after itself, it's some other
auto-configuring part of your network messing with the hosts file, and
perhaps with the /etc/resolv.conf file at the same time.

> [root at iam Desktop]# more /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost    iam.wayward4now.net
>
> I hope this is just left over from before... it's BAAACK! <kill me
> now>

What are you using to go on and offline?  Does it go online while the PC
is booting, are you using some utility?  And what are in the same script
files that David asked you about?

I read messages from the public lists.