network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Sep 26 15:11:38 UTC 2006

Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did lookup on your hostname and got an IP but a reverse lookup on that
>>> IP gives adsl-070-145-234-214.sip.int.bellsouth.net.  I wonder if the
>>> problem arises because the forward and reverses conflict, and perhaps
>>> one of the configuration programs is "fixing" it for you?
>>

>I believe I am OK now, If you would try that again to see what pops up,
>I'd appreciate it. I am back on my static IP, it's resolving quickly and
>seems to be at full speed.
>
>> It's brute force but you could try "chattr" to make your hosts file
>>> immutable.
>>

>I'm afraid to touch it, now that it's working. If it wasn't the bind
>packages, then using the FC6 setup* rpms must have done the trick. Ric

Just a WAG but it appears that one of the rpms in the latest batch of
updates does something really strange with /etc/hosts.  I updated my FC5
box yesterday and /etc/hosts now looks like:

[dave at spindle ~]# cat /etc/hosts
192.168.255.254   mutilate.local.davenjudy.org    mutilate
127.0.0.1               spindle.local.davenjudy.org spindle
localhost.localdomain localhost

The first line is my NIS server so luckily the update didn't mess with
that.  I can't imagine any circumstances under which I would modify the
127.0.0.1 entry to look like the above.  At least I didn't run into the
problem of the bogus line being "sticky".  I still don't have an answer
to that problem.

Also, looking at what logwatch reports, I noticed the following:

 Packages Erased:
    bind-config

Another WAG but it appears to have been replaced by:

 Packages Installed:
    sane-backends-libs.i386 1.0.18-2.fc5
    kernel.i686 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
    caching-nameserver.i386 30:9.3.2-33.fc5 <-- This
    libgconf-java.i386 2.12.4-2.fc5

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce