NetworkManager vpn eats the CPU

Richard Pickett Richard.Pickett at CSRTechnologies.com
Wed Sep 27 15:30:56 UTC 2006

FC5 on a X41 thinkpad tablet.

I got Network Manager running fine with my wireless networks and setup two
openvpn configs, one to a server that's here in my house for when I'm home
and one public one for when I'm roaming.

The problem I'm noticing is that whenever I have the vpn connected
"nm-openvpn-service" eats up all the CPU. It doesn't interfere with the
usage of any applications because it's priority is 25, but I know it's not
necessary for it to take up that much on the cpu.

I'm guessing this is a NetworkManager "monitor" that watches what's going on
with the openvpn connection.

Any ideas on why it eats up the cpu and how to get it to calm down?

Thanks!