Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 27 21:45:25 UTC 2006

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I'm looking for suggestions for software to rip CD's..
> I'm also looking for comments on the relative advantages of ripping to
> mp3 versus wav files and the 'best' software to play those files back
> from the harddrive.
> I am presently using aplay in a for loop script but I need something
> better. My present wav files were ripped with cdda2wav under OS/2. what
> is the equivalent for linux/Fedora?
> Suggestions please.
>
>              R. Geoffrey Newbury
>        Helping with the HTTP issue

If you have the disk space, use wav as it provides a true copy of the
original.  Next use flac as it is a lossless format and provides a
decent way to backup your music without losing any quality.  You can
rebuild your CD's from the flac files.  Mp3's are a lossy format.  Ogg
is a lossy format.

I use Grip to rip to flac.  I rip to flac for use on my computers.  I
don't lose any of the quality or get compression distortion that I
always end up with when using mp3 and depending on the song, with ogg as
well.

My iRiver plays ogg files so when I want to use the file on my iRiver, I
use soundconverter to change from flac to ogg.  I always use the best
quality as I cannot stand distortion.  I can also use soundconverter to
make mp3's for those times that I need to.

One song that I have never gotten a good compressed rip of is "Stairway
to Heaven" and I am still trying.

--
Robin Laing