Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 27 22:47:14 UTC 2006

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 15:45:25 -0600,
>   Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>
>>If you have the disk space, use wav as it provides a true copy of the
>>original.  Next use flac as it is a lossless format and provides a
>>decent way to backup your music without losing any quality.  You can
>>rebuild your CD's from the flac files.  Mp3's are a lossy format.  Ogg
>>is a lossy format.
>

> You really should refer to this codec as Vorbis, not Ogg. Ogg containers
> can be used with several audio (vorbis, flac and speex) and video (theora)
> codecs. For more information see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
> or
> http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Thanks for the link.  I didn't know that.  I have never seen an option
to select a different codec for my ogg files.  My iRiver doesn't specify
XXX codec when you select ogg nor does it have anything in the manual
that would be different.

Now looking at the wiki site, I could encode in flac and wrap it with
ogg and it might play in my iRiver.  If this is true, I would be happy.
  Of course, this would mean less songs on my player due to the larger
file sizes.

It has been a good day.  I learned something. :)
--
Robin Laing