Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Sep 28 01:07:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:54:23 +0930,
  Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III:
> >> You really should refer to this codec as Vorbis, not Ogg.
>
> Yes, and no.  I suppose it depends on whether the device cares more
> about the container or the encoding.  Generally people talk about the
> files, rather than the codecs.  So an ogg file is an ogg file.  XMMS may
> play an ogg file encoded in more than one way.  I don't know whether
> it'd play vorbis data outside of an ogg file.

Probably you need both. But still, just saying Ogg is ambiguous when talking
about properties such as being lossy versus lossless. Or even audio verus
video. Probably saying Ogg Vorbis is best since that covers both the container
and the codec.
I haven't run accross Vorbis not inside of Ogg, but I have seen Flac outside
of Ogg.
Ogg also lets you combine multiple media streams in one container. So that
you could have the soundtrack to a video in the same file as the video
similar to what you typically find in mpg or wmv files.