FC4/6 Installer fails on MSI RX480

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 12:13:01 UTC 2006

Gary Huntress wrote:

> I am having trouble installing Fedora on a system with a brand new MSI RX480
> Neo2 motherboard and an athlon 64.   The remaining hardware is a generic 80GB
> ide drive and two sata drives.  Video is an ancient PCI card, diamond stealth
> I think.
>
> The CD boots ok and I select "linux text" to proceed.  Installation proceeds
> normally right up to what I think says something like "making kernel
> readonly"

I think that counts as an error message. It might be helpful to know
*where* in the install this happens. For example, it sounds like the
Linux kernel boots and starts reading the CD drive -- does it start
installing stuff to the hard drive?

> and the screen fills with what looks like:
>
> [ mem address ]   function name - codes
>
> It may be a panic, I can't tell because the system is frozen and I
> have no way to capture or scroll back the info.  Function names are
> like: fd_install, run_init_process, trace_hardirqs_on_thunk,
> spin_unlock. My intuition tells me this may be irq related.

Sounds like a panic to me. Have you run memtest86 on this system yet?

Are you installing to the IDE drive or the SATA? I presume the CD drive
is on IDE.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | ...a probably apocryphal bilingual sign in darkest North
aprilcottage.co.uk | Wales. In English it says "70mph" and in Welsh "slow