[Fedora] setting the kernel default

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Sep 28 23:58:04 UTC 2006

atomi wrote:
> Do I have to do anything so that the server from now on always reboots
> using the old kernel-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ?
    You can tell grub which kernel to boot automatically.  By default it
will boot the first one in grub.conf, however you can change that with
the 'default=0' line in grub.conf.  Remember that 0 is the first kernel
listed, 1 is the second, etc., etc.

> How do I verify what kernel is in use now ?
    uname -r

> Is it possible to remove and prevent kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 or newer
> kernels from automatically installing during a yum update?
    You can remove the kernel yes, however I'm not sure about it not
getting reinstalled again at the next update.

> Also, How would I go about troubleshooting the panic ?
    I'll leave this to the experts to hash out.  Though posting your
panic OOPS would be a start.