setting the kernel default

ronald rwarsow at online.de
Fri Sep 29 00:13:19 UTC 2006

atomi wrote:
> I have two kernels installed (checked by using rpm -q kernel) :
> Do I have to do anything so that the server from now on always reboots
> using the old kernel-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ?
yes.
in /boot/grub.conf: default=1 or a remove of the panic kernel.
('hope that the path is correct for xeon's)

> How do I verify what kernel is in use now ?

uname -r

> Is it possible to remove and prevent kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 or newer
> kernels from automatically installing during a yum update?

yes and yes.
in /etc/yum.conf: exclude=kernel*

*or*

another trick:
in /etc/sysconfig/kernel: UPDATEDEFAULT=no

(not *the* answer to the question, but...)

> Also, How would I go about troubleshooting the panic ?

photo after reboot with parameter vga=791
or
(!) serial console output => bugzilla

--
    ronald