Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 09:40:57 UTC 2006

On 26/09/06, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 18:32:04 +0800,
>
> I would suggest staying away from combined routers and modems.
> I would prefer to not have the ISP have control over routing on my local
> network. With your own router, you can filter traffic going to the modem
> so that you don't leak stuff that you don't want to.
> This also makes testing easier in the case where there are problems as you
> can pull the router and test the modem without any acls getting in the way.
> This can make diagnosing whose equipment is at fault simpler.

That is exactly what I'm trying to do! I suspect that my router is
faulty, and I want to diagnos it. That is why I must eliminate the
router and connect just by using the modem. How on earth can I do that
on Fedora? Where do I enter my ISP username and password? The ISP only
provids instructions on how to do that in Windows.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com