Checking internet connection without a winbox

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 13:42:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 20:32 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 12:40 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I suspect that my router is faulty, and I want to diagnos it. That is
> > why I must eliminate the router and connect just by using the modem.
> > How on earth can I do that on Fedora? Where do I enter my ISP username
> > and password? The ISP only provids instructions on how to do that in
> > Windows.
>
> Look into PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet), that's the usual one.  There was a
> client for it called "Roaring Penguin".  But I thought the network GUI,
> neat, would lead you through setting up a new ADSL connection (or other
> types).

AFAIK, I'm just using ethernet to my DSL modem which is set to
passthrough with a static IP address. You may not need PPPoE at all.
What is the name and model of your DSL modem? Mine from BellSouth lets
you use an IP address in a browser to set it up, without a stinking CD.

Then, I just used the network mangler (manager) that comes with Fedora.
If you do not have a static IP address, using DHCP settings works just
fine as well. You go into services and enable network manager. Fill in
the blanks, in network-manager, just like you do with windows.

My username and password are still handled by the modem though. I have
not had to get software that didn't already come with Fedora. If you
need PPPoE it will handle that as well. As I have ranted about in
scripts rpms. I spent an entire weekend working with software that
didn't work for me, suffered emotional and intellectual abuse until I
upgraded manually. Then the problem was over in 15 minutes. I still
wince over it.

I still want a free set of FC6 CD's as recompense! And a T-shirt.
Yeaaaaah, that's the ticket! Eat Fresssh!

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/