Procedure to replace a NIC.

Hi,

I wannt to remove the 10/100 NICs from my FC5 servers and replace with Gigabit NICs. I've never had to uninstall a NIC from a linux machine. Is there anything I should do before pulling one card and installing another? Also, anything that I will have to do to get the machine to realize the gigabit potential of the new card?

Thanks!