Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Sep 2 10:45:07 UTC 2006

Tod Merley wrote:

> Hi Bob!
>
> SCSI Drives now XP=sda FC5=sdb -- rearrange the SCSI addresses (should
> be configurable on the drives - probably jumpers or through a utility)
> and see if you can get FC5=sda XP=sdb.  Then install-grub sda and you
> should have a working system.
I suspect this is determined by where the drive data cable is plugged in
on the m.b. I'll try swapping them, once I am fully awake!

Someone else sent me a procedure for using the Windows bootloader which
looks like another approach that I might be able to get working but I
will hold that as a last resort.  I prefer to do the job from FC5 if I can.

> Do copy the MBR and MBR plus 62 sectors and hold off disk.  When you
> boot XP it may well (perhaps through the Dell machine management
> software) replace the MBR.  You can tell if it did by checking what is
> in the MBR with your copy through hexdump.
I'm not sure how to copy the mbr, how to locate it, how it is named?  I
guess I will somehow ...

BobG