Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Sep 2 12:12:31 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>> Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:
>>
>> sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
>>
>> #boot=/dev/sda
>> default=0
>> timeout=5
>> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>> hiddenmenu
>> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
>>        root (hd1,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
>> title Windows XP
>>        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>>        chainloader +1
>>

> I would try saying "grub-install --recheck /dev/sda".

sh-3.1# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

Actually there's no floppy drive installed in the Dell.

It also tells me if any of the above is incorrect, fix it, and re-run
grub-install.
Looks ok to me?  I suppose I might try swapping sda and sdb as was also
suggested, if that works it would be easier than opening the box and
swapping cables, etc.

BobG