eclipse tomcat plugin as non-root user

Trying to start/stop tomcat from within eclipse under my normal user
account, getting a java.security.AccessControlException in the console.
Tomcat5.5 was installed from jpackage.org

I've added my user acct to the 'tomcat' group and can
read /usr/share/tomcat55/conf/ files. And tomcat is binding to port
8080

and I can run tomcat using /usr/bin/tomcat55 from the shell

Has anyone had this working? I'd like to avoid running Eclipse as root -
thanks
sam