What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Sep 3 17:13:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I see /net was created by something on my FC5 system,
> but it isn't owned by any rpm and it is empty.

IFAIK, this is traditionally where global NFS mounts would go.  E.g.,
mount machine2's /opt/foo on /net/machine2/opt/foo.  Usually, you'd back
these up on the local machine (unless you are doing networked backups
using NFS mounts.

> I see /srv (another empty directory) is owned by
> the filesystem-2.3.7-1.2.1 rpm, and /misc
> is owned by autofs-4.1.4-29

In the future, global server files will go in /srv.  So /var/www will
become /srv/www, etc.  /var will be reserved for files that need to be
writable by the running system--locks, pid files, spools, etc.

/misc is for dynamic mounts (what autofs does), so it should not be
backed up unless you know you want to.

> I'm setting up backups for my system and wondering if
> these guys need backing up (I already know I probably
> shouldn't fool with /proc, /sys, and /dev).

Right.  And /selinux and /media and /mnt and /tmp.  And several of the
directories under /var.

> Speaking of backups, the only way I've though of
> to exclude NFS and cdrom and such is to go through
> the output from "mount" and build rsync exclude
> patterns for all non-local hard disk mounts.
> Is there an easier way to tell rsync "only
> local hard disks"?

See other notes in the thread.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman