Procedure to replace a NIC.

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Sun Sep 3 20:51:48 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> This will get the NIC working 9 times out of 10 all right.
>> Call me the 1 out of 10 guy. I removed the eth0 alias in modprobe.conf,
>> shut down the first machine, replaced the NIC and rebooted.
>>
>> dmesg shows:
>> eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8169s/8110s'.
>> eth0:RTL8169 at 0xe88e8000, 00:40:f4:ee:2f:ff, IRQ 11
>>
>> So, I understand the TrendNet TEG-PCITXR Ggigabit PCI card that I've
>> installed has a RealTek 8169 chipset.
>>
>> modprobe.conf has a new line:
>> alias eth0 r8169
>>
>> This all looks good. Further, the following directories exist:
>> /sys/module/r8169
>> /sys/bus/pci/drivers/r8169
>>
>> I don't know this for fact, but I'd think this all indicates that the
>> chipset is recognized by the kernel (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5). I am not
>> certain of how to better confirm this.
>>
>> Yet, no network connection. So, I edit
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and update the hardware
>> address, which is still listed as the old card's address, and then
>> restart the network.
>>
>> I can locally ping the card on both its static public address and its
>> loopback, but cannot reach anything else.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks for all the responses, so far!
>>
> Steven, I don't know whether this has any relevance or not, but I recently
> changed a NIC in a FC4 box, and initially had a problem.  It seems that it
> had detected the card correctly, and was loading the driver, but it had
> remembered the MAC address of the old card.  I had to remove the card's entry
> in system-config-network, then run kudzu to get the new card read in again.
> Since then I have had no problem.
>
> Anne

Anne,

I don't run a GUI. I believe that system-config-network changes the
settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, which I did
manually. You are right that the hardware address did need manual
altering. I rebooted, which is what I think you mean by running kudzu.
Is there a way to invoke kudzu manually?

Thanks!