Re: Curious yum problem

On 9/1/06, Timothy Murphy <tim birdsnest maths tcd ie> wrote:
Guillermo Garron wrote:

>> I just installed FC-5 on a new disk,
>> and when I tried "yum update" it failed because, it reported,
>> kdebase required htdig .
>>
>> On the other hand, I can update kdebase on other FC-5 systems
>> which I have kept up-to-date.
>>
>> It doesn't particularly matter - I as able to update nearly everything
>> by "yum update [a-j]\*", etc,
>> but I am puzzled why this problem arises,
>> and interested to know if there is a simple way
>> of determining exactly what is looking for what?
>> (It seemed that other packages were looking for htdig.)

> I think i have seen this before,
>
> some dependencies are not resolved by YUM it just inform you do not
> have it, but do not fetch it.
>
> What i did in that situations is to *manually* install the required
> package.
>
> $ yum install htdig
> and then
> $ yum update

Thanks for your response.
I tried your recipe, but unfortunately it did not work.
I found in the end that somewhere along the line
I lost /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo ,
goodness knows where or how.

I looked this up on a working FC-5 system,
and found it came with fedora-release-5.5 .
When I downloaded this and ran "rpm --force -ivh fedora-release-5.5"
all was well.
Glad to read that!
regards,
GG