how to obtain single-line scroll with wheel mouse? (FC5)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sun Sep 3 21:38:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 02:29:59PM -0700, JJ wrote:
> It appears that there is no way to adjust the mouse
> scroll rate in Gnome or X11.  If any developers are
> reading this, it would be wonderful if one day a user
> could, with one setting, control the number of lines
> that a wheel mouse scrolls by per notch.  As for me, I

It's hard to do this, because the mouse wheel doesn't actually send a
"scroll yourself N lines" signal. Generally, it's just interpreted as clicks
of mouse buttons 4 and 5 (for forward and backwards), and it's up to the app
(or GUI toolkit or widget) to decide what to do about that.

[...]
> 	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

That is, "interpret changes on the scroll wheel as clicks of button 4 and
5".