Procedure to replace a NIC - PLEASE HELP!

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 4 03:50:38 UTC 2006

> I noticed on the Realtek site that there is no
> downloadable driver for the 2.6 kernel.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?lineid=1&famid=4&series=2003072&Software=True

Download the source code. Unzip the tarball.

There is a C program in the src directory that has to be corrected
before it will compile:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_RTL8168

>From the r1000_v1.04 directory:

su
make
depmod -a

The module will build and install correctly with no changes to any of
the Makefiles.

Probably you will find the tulip driver has been erroneously loaded. Get
rid of it:

rmmod tulip

change to the correct /lib/modules.../net directory then

insmod r1000.ko

This should get the Realtek working.

One last bit of advice -- it took me about 15 minutes of Googling to
locate the links above. That was with time to sip coffee. I got my
Realtek 8168 gigabit adapter for PCIe running as soon as I did the
insmod, and I'm using it now to send this email. Why not try Google a
little more in the future?

Bob Cochran