can't boot single user in FC5

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 13:19:29 UTC 2006

On 9/4/06, Macintyre, Ross A <R.A.Macintyre at hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've just upgraded a lab of machines to FC5 from FC2.
>
> In FC2 I could just add 'single' to the boot options at the grub prompt, but
> when I try this in FC5 it just boots up as normal.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> I read that you might use these additions to the boot prompt: S, s, 1,
> single, e.
>
> None of them work.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Ross
>

> Ross Macintyre
>  School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Heriot-Watt University
>
>  Tel: 0131 451 3417
>  R.A.Macintyre at hw.ac.uk (raz at macs.hw.ac.uk)
>
>  Paintings at http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~raz/paintings/
>

> --

Hi Ross!

You mention the "grub prompt".  Well, usually I can, if I press a key
during the countdown and select on of my boot options (apologies - no
FC5 in the house at the moment - preparing for a 4 OS boot box)
(Ubuntu offers normal, single, and memtest for GRUB options) I can
THEN hit "e" and edit the option.  Below is a portion of my grub.conf
(actually menu.lst in the Ubuntu way) which boots into single mode:
title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-26-386 (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-26-386
boot
Note in particular the end of the 'kernel' line.  That is what you
would edit your line to see.

If it is just the "grub boot prompt" you wish to deal with you might
try "linux single" but it has been a long time for me to.  I never do
it that way.

Good hunting!

Tod