Need help connecting to VPN

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:50:07 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I have the need to connect to a Windows VPN I think getting the
> requred details for the actual connection should be too hard. It is to
> my school network. They distribute a Windows .exe which does all the
> configuring, so details are not immediately obvious. But I want the
> VPN to start right after my inet comes up. And most importantly, I
> only want IPs in the schools IP block to route thoguh it.
>
> Generic instructions will do, I should be able to fill in the details.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Arthur

If you use Gnome, you can also download the NetworkManager-vpnc plugin
for NetworkManager, and enable the NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher services on startup instead of network, for
runlevel 5 (system-config-services). Then (after rebooting or at least
restart NM) it's as simple as connecting to the network with the
NetworkManager applet menu, then going to VPN Connections->Configure
VPN, and entering the info there.
vpnc is only for Cisco-compatible VPNs, afaik.
-Dan