Re: Linux mail command

Paul Ward schrieb:

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on the mail command or posfix config.

How can I send mail and change the from address to be something other than root.

eg

0 1,7,13,19 * * * cd /usr/sbin/; ./chkrootkit 2>&1 | mail -s
"chkrootkit output" pnward googlemail com

This returns an excellent output but its from root mybox I'd like it to come from chkrootkit mybox

Paul

Use "nail" instead of "mail". nail is packaged in Fedora Extras. It allows you to set the envelope sender - at least I think you mean that when your speak about the "from address" in lack of better knowledge (as oppose to the header from:). The "sendmail" binary call allows you to set the envelope sender as well, by using the "-f user domain tld" parameter call (both with Sendmail and Postfix). If you instead want a header from: set you must do a different mailing which sets the required header fields and not simply pipes output into a mail body.

Alexander