Trouble Burning Core 5 CDs

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Sep 5 16:07:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Bjorgen T. Eatinger wrote:

> I am trying to create the 5 CDs necessary for a new Fedora Core 5 installation, and can never get a good burn.  The media check always fails, during installation.
>
> Once thing I noticed is that the ISO images appear to be a bit larger than 650MB, which is the recordable size of the CDs I am using.  I will try 700MB CDs, but I wonder why the images would be distributed to be over 650MB, and if this is really the issue.
>
> I tried burning the CDs using 3 different burners on 3 different workstations, with the same results.  Is there a recommended media manufacturer?  I am burning at the slowest speed (16x) possible as well.
>
> I have never had so much trouble burning CDs before!  In fact, this got so crazy, that I finally gave up and purchased a Fedora book on Core 2 which contained the CDs, and they worked perfect.  But I am now running 3 versions behind.  This has been an extremely frustrating experience, to say the least.
>
> This is so much trouble, that I wish there was a company that produced and sold a commercial Fedora release on CDs.

Have you checked the SHA1 checksums on the iso images?

How did you download the images?  If you used ftp and it was in "ascii
mode", it will corrupt the images.  (http will do so as well if it somehow
things it is text because of a misconfiguration somewhere.)

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink