azureus port forwarding problem

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Sep 5 23:23:41 UTC 2006

I'm trying to set up Azureus using the Stanton Finley installation notes
(http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html).  I
have 3 linux boxes (192.168.1.11-13) behind a router (192.168.1.1) and a
DSL modem (192.168.0.1).  I've followed the instructions for modifying
iptables to open TCP ports 6881-6999 and a single UDP port in that range
-- I've chosen UDP port 6973.

There's an Azureus configuration wizard panel for selecting an incoming
TCP listening port between 6882 and 6999 that corresponds to the number
of the port selected for the udp iptables firewall port (6973).  When I
click the test button I get the error message:

Testing port 6973: NAT error

The instructions say:
"Be sure that the tcp and udp port ranges that you open with iptables
are also opened in your router if you have one."  I'm assuming this is
the source of my problem.

Here's how I've set up port forwarding on the DSL modem and the router:

The DSL Actiontec modem has a "Port Forwarding" page on which I've added
these two lines to the "List of Forwarded Ports", where 192.168.1.1 is
the address of the router:
6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.1
6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.1

The Linksys router has a "Port Range Forwarding" page on which I've
added these two entries, where 192.168.1.12 is the address of the Linux
box where I want to use Azureus and bittorrent:
6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.12
6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.12

Thanks for the help!
Jerry