azureus port forwarding problem

Steven Ellis ellis at brouhaha.com
Wed Sep 6 16:28:55 UTC 2006

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Azureus using the Stanton Finley installation notes
> (http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html).  I
> have 3 linux boxes (192.168.1.11-13) behind a router (192.168.1.1) and a
> DSL modem (192.168.0.1).  I've followed the instructions for modifying
> iptables to open TCP ports 6881-6999 and a single UDP port in that range
> -- I've chosen UDP port 6973.

I believe that the recommendation is now to _avoid_ using ports 6881 to
6999 (see http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/PortIsBlacklisted).  The
azureuswiki (http://www.azureuswiki.com) has pretty helpful information
on getting things working.  I believe that azureus will only use one
port (for both TCP & UDP), so there is no need to blow big holes in your
firewall.  Various ISPs are apparently either rate-limiting (most
likely) or blocking (unlikely??) the old typical bittorrent ports, so
you may just have better luck if you switch to a different
higher-numbered port--make your router and any FC5 iptables firewalling
rules let in the packets for the port that you choose.
> Here's how I've set up port forwarding on the DSL modem and the router:
>
> The DSL Actiontec modem has a "Port Forwarding" page on which I've added
> these two lines to the "List of Forwarded Ports", where 192.168.1.1 is
> the address of the router:
> 6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.1
> 6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.1
>
> The Linksys router has a "Port Range Forwarding" page on which I've
> added these two entries, where 192.168.1.12 is the address of the Linux
> box where I want to use Azureus and bittorrent:
> 6881-6999 tcp 192.168.1.12
> 6973-6973 udp 192.168.1.12

I guess I'm confused as to how the router and the DSL modem are
connected to your network--If the DSL modem is doing NAT for you, and so
is the router (rather odd, but should work), then you may have things
set correctly, but then the router is using two interfaces, perhaps
192.168.0.X connected to the DSL modem, and 192.168.1.1 connected to the
linux machines--if so, you probably want to have the DSL modem forward
to 192.168.0.X (whatever the router's address is on that subnet)--the
DSL modem likely doesn't know about the 192.168.1.X network.

If you aren't running NAT on both the DSL modem and the router, then you
likely only need port forwarding configured on the one that is doing NAT
(the router, I'm guessing).
> Thanks for the help!
> Jerry

Hope that helps,